Saturday, May 25, 2013

Claire and I awoke to a thermometer that read 45 degrees - probably the chilliest morning we've ridden. We ate a quick breakfast and hit the road early since we had a 90 mile ride ahead of us. 

I've ridden to and from the Chicago area four times, and the first time I did it I was struck at how big the city of Milwaukee is. Claire and I left our parent's house in Whitefish Bay a little after 7:00, and it was at least an hour before we had crossed the border into Oak Creek.

The majority of our ride today was on bike paths, which was nice because we were off the road, but, as Claire and I discovered when we spent about 100 miles on one in Minnesota, they're boring and the constant flat terrain means you're pedaling all the time. The path occasionally ended, and sometimes it was clear where to head, but not all the time. I don't know that I've ever made it through Highland Park without feeling confused, and today was no exception. Luckily a nice couple on bikes led us back in the right direction. I was a bit concerned about when the path completely ends in Evanston and we had to rely on Google maps directions, but we made it without incident, even though the route led us through a golf course that spit us out into an alley.

Tonight we're staying with my friend Michael in Chicago (thanks for the pizza!). I think it was the combination of the boring bike path and the fact that we were passing through so many  cities with more dense population, but I almost feel as though I didn't enjoy the 90 mile trip here. Tomorrow we hope to make it to Indiana and to camp, and I'm actually looking forward to heading into more rural areas. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thinking about you!